Definitions of Cartoon
Cartoon (noun) A simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in...
Cartoon (noun)A simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.
''He also turned to satirical cartoons and illustrations for newspapers and magazines.''
synonyms: caricature, parody, lampoon, satire, takeoff, sendup
A motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.
Side views are nullified as the cartoon insistently animates its characters from the front.synonyms: animated film, animation, toon
She has a face with enough character to be cartooned
- caricature, parody, lampoon, satire, takeoff, sendup
- comic strip, comic, funnies, graphic novel
- animated film, animation, toon
- animated cartoon, toon
- But Roy would take a single frame from a cartoon or comic strip and turn it into an entire painting.
- An earlier post mentioned this long-lost cartoon from the pre-internet days, and Mudville readers were quick to respond to my request for a copy.
- We now know it will sacrifice talent and demolish the dignity of a loyal employee for a cartoon version of moral purity.
- My own dysfunctional family were out, so I had to replace them with a cartoon version.
Word Origin and History for Cartoon
1670s, "a drawing on strong paper (used as a model for another work)," from French carton, from Italian cartone "strong, heavy paper, pasteboard," thus "preliminary sketches made by artists on such paper". Extension to comical drawings in newspapers and magazines is 1843.
Punch has the benevolence to announce, that in an early number of his ensuing Volume he will astonish the Parliamentary Committee by the publication of several exquisite designs, to be called Punch's Cartoons! ["Punch," June 24, 1843]n.
1855, from cartoon (n.) + -ist = Cartoonist.
1864 (implied in cartooned), from cartoon (n.).
Research: Arifur Rahman, Founder of tOOns MaG
Click here to see more cartoon