Cartooning and Unique Characteristics and Uses: Cartoons are simple sketches or drawings with exaggerated features which are satirical or humorous and usually published in newspapers, magazine or periodicals. Most cartoons combine words and drawings to convey their messages while others express their message through the drawings only. The artist who specializes in the creation of cartoons is called a cartoonist.
Cartoonists usually use a few details of a particular character that helps us to readily identify him while exaggerating the other features of the same characteristics such as the head, hands, or feet just to create humor. For instance, the size of the head of a cartoon character maybe a third or half of the body length.
Oversized heads are normally used by cartoonists to direct the attention of readers to important facial expressions of characters such as a smile, a sneer, a squint, anger, etc. Symbols are also used as shortcuts by cartoonists to help them narrate their stories. For instance, a dark cloud on the head of a character may indicate that the character is in despair or problem while a light bulb on his head may indicate a bright idea gained by the character.
Each separate scene of a cartoon is called a Panel. The printed text that accompanies and explains the action of a cartoon character usually in an enclosed space is termed as Balloon.
Several features can easily help someone to identify cartoon drawings. Some of these includes:
- Human or animal figures are known as ‘characters’ are depicted in cartoon drawings.
- Few details of the characters are shown in cartoon drawings.
- Cartoon drawings are not realistic but representational.
- There is always an exaggeration or culmination of some parts of the body of the character such as head, hands, eyes, nose, etc.
- Cartoon drawings are humorous, satirical, and dramatic.
- Facial expressions and feelings of a character such as happiness, anger, pain, etc. are normally indicated by the size and posture of the eyes and mouth.
Cartoon drawings play several roles in society. These roles are mostly educational and social.
- Cartoons are used for creating illustrations in books, magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals to educate the general public on important issues of the nation.
- They are used for advertisement of products and services.
- They are used in explaining difficult subjects or topics in textbooks.
- Cartoons are used as finished drawings for publications.
- Painters in the area of Fine arts use cartoons as sketches for paintings.
- Cartoons are used to bring to limelight some negative tendencies in society such as corruption etc.
- They serve as a form of entertainment for both children and adults especially when they are used for animations.
- They are used to relieve boredom in readers of storybooks, newspapers, and magazines.
- They promote the sales of newspapers and magazines.
- They are used as teaching aids in schools especially at the lower levels of the academic ladder.
Cartooning and Unique Characteristics and Uses
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!